Currently there is no easy or standard way to move customization changes across environments from PowerApp web portal. Only way to export and import CDS customizations (Entities, Business rules, Apps) is by exporting CDS solution from Dynamics 365. Before we look into how to achieve this, lets first understand what Environment, Instance and Organization mean when working with CDS for Apps and Dynamics 365.
In the legacy ‘CRM world’ there was the concept of an organization. There are now 3 terms you should be aware of and where they are going?
An Organization – This terminology will fade away over time and is considered legacy.
An Instance – There are 2 kinds of instances available at the minute:
- Dynamics 365 CE instance called with Accounts, Contacts, Sales, Service, Marketing, Leads, Opportunities etc.
- A CDS Core Instance. It only has Accounts, Contacts, Activities. Nothing else! A true XRM Platform. The only way to get this type of instance is through the admin.powerapps.com portal today. Through the API, you cannot create this type of instance at this time, but this will come in future.
An Environment – Over time Organizations and Instances will go away and we will only have the term ‘Environment’.
I have two CDS environments (DEV, Test). In DEV environment, I have created Company and Company Product entities and business rules which I want to move to Test environment as mentioned below:
- Login to DEV CDS environment. Click on Advanced Customizations from Settings gear icon. From Advanced customizations window, click on All Solutions link which will navigate you to dev Dynamics 365 instance.
- As we know for each CDS environment you create, corresponding Dynamics 365 instance is also configured with default CDS solution which holds all customizations done in CDS environment. Select CDS default solution and click on Export button. Note – You can also create new Solution and select only required components.
- Click on Next in export wizard, choose Managed/Unmanaged and click on Export. Save exported zip file
- Login to Test CDS environment. Click on Advanced Customizations from Settings gear icon. From Advanced customizations window, click on All Solutions link which will navigate you to test Dynamics 365 instance.
- Click on Import button to import exported file above.
- Click on Next->Import which will import DEV customizations in Test environment. Publish your customizations if you imported unmanaged solution.
- Go back to Test CDS environment, expand Data and select Entities from left navigation bar. You will see Company and Company Products entities are available in Test CDS environment now.
In next blog we will see how to export and import data for CDS entities across environments.